Right then here it is..the long awaited Safeway 6.
Now i’ve confused myself with whether this is a “6 different ones to buy” ie favourites or “what to put in your 10% 6-Pack this week”. Which will be the same as any other week ‘cos I’m not one for changing my mind. Anyway, as its my section I will comply to making the rules up as I go along. (I also thought I might have got some fancy league table and wine scoring mechanism for each entry but as I obviously didn’t ask Martin for it, I didn’t get it.) Note: There is no particular reason or logic behind the order of the list.
So 6 Different Ones to Buy:
1) Rodney Strong – Cab. (Price varies but generally in the 11-13 bucks range in your 6 pack) Best value in Safeways is my call.
2) Cameron Hughes – Zin. (Excellent value at the moment due to some strange “we’ve got too much stock” pricing. Only $9.98). This is smooth but still has a bit of bite. Good Zin for me; none of this too pepper/spicy/fruity gunge. Buy this now while its still cheap (as of 2/28/10).
3) Sebastiani – Pinot Noir. Fresh in this week (well, fresh into my trolley) and very nice and smooth. Price $10..get it now.
4) Enda Valley – Chardonnay. A nice little white wine for the girls. Actually from my Aussie days i’m partial to a bit of white now and then and this passes the test. Price currently (as I got one this week for my sister) $11. Good price.
5) Alexander Valley – Cab. (Again price varies but is in line with the above at $11-13). Prefer the Rodney Strong but this is certainly a nice one for a change.
6) Ghost Pines – Cab. Yes I know, another Cab but for the sake of putting my 6 choices in and given that I need to go through all my saved “Liquor” receipts from Safeway to see what rubbish i’ve bought over the past, i’m bunging this one in as it is a very nice wine and is also appreciated by Martin .. hence second mortgage price of $15.39
Thats the 6 as of 17-Jan-10, more changes to arrive later when I need to remove all the text as it buggers the web page up.
Dropped from the initial list:
7 Deadly Zins – Zin (obviously). This is mainly for Martin as he his the Zin man but I need to look into these cos i’m not sure I can trust his judgement – and it means me drinking more in the name of science and reviews etc. Must be Martin’s fav as it comes in at the $15 range. He knows how to live it up.